Thursday, August 8, 2013

Why I wanted to go to Argentina

The congress in Argentina had a huge draw for me. My grandfather, on my dad's side, Michael (Mike) Francis Stark, was born in Guamini, near Buenos Aires in 1905. His parents had moved there from Russia as near as I can tell. I have a copy of the ship’s manifesto when he sailed to Canada on May 12, 1913 from Buenos Aires with his parents.  They settled near Chamberlain, Saskatchewan where there was already family living. After a pretty hard childhood, Mike ran the general store in the town with help from his wife, Evelyn, my grandmother, and four kids, including my dad, Edward.  Grandpa was also the Massey-Harris and Cockshutt dealer.  He took up farming later in life in 1958 when he turned the store operations over to my uncle. For me, this trip feels a bit like going back in history since my grandfather died when I was only four. My plan is to see if I can get a photo at the dock where they would have shipped out. I don't beleive in ghosts but with my dad now gone too, this seems like a way to somehow connect with my roots 100 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment