Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dukorol - tastes bad, but hopefully it works!

Two weeks until departure and I just got my preventative illness prescriptions filled. One is an antibiotic in case I get sick on the trip.

The other is Dukorol. I took the first of two doses this morning. It's a vaccine to prevent cholera and traveler's diarrhea.  You mix 5 oz. of water with a package of sodium bicarbonate, then drop in the liquid vaccine and drink the whole thing on an empty stomach.

I know prevention and the benefits will be worth it, but stomaching this first thing in the a.m. is enough to cause one to rethink trying new and unique foods when they travel to avoid drinking this preventative potion.

And, I know me....I am the adventurous "try as much different local food as you can when in a foreign place", so a couple minutes of discomfort this a.m. will be well worth it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment